Best Rheumatologist in Mumbai – Dr. Dipti Patel
Dipti Patel completed her MBBS from Nair Hospital, Mumbai. After successfully completing her internship for a year she left for the UK to pursue further qualifications.
She obtained her MRCP in Internal medicine from Royal College of Physicians, London and pursued the super specialization in the field of Rheumatology from Liverpool, UK. During her 5 years of intensive training, she had the opportunity to work with the leading experts in the field of Rheumatology at various specialized centers. After successfully achieving CCT- Rheumatology (certificate of completion of training) from Royal College of Physicians she has worked as a Consultant Rheumatologist for 2 years in South Yorkshire, UK.
She has a total of more than 10 years combined experience in General medicine and Rheumatology in the UK and has now relocated to Mumbai, attached as a full-time Consultant the rheumatologist at Wockhardt Hospitals, South Mumbai.
Her aim is to spread awareness regarding Rheumatological conditions in our population and make modern treatments available to patients to improve their quality of life. Her work has been appreciated by colleagues and patients as meeting high expectations and standard of care.
- Dr. Dipti has vast experience in treating conditions like Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, Gout, Osteoarthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis, fibromyalgia and other complexes inflammatory joint disorders as per latest clinical guidelines and evidence-based medicine.
- She is competent in managing autoimmune diseases like Lupus, Scleroderma, Vasculitis and other spectrum of autoimmune conditions.
- During her tenure in the UK, she has worked in specialized tertiary centres for Bechets, Lupus Scleroderma and departments with dedicated musculoskeletal Ultrasound.
- Her sub speciality experience includes early arthritis clinics, Joint Obstetric and Rheumatology Care, Adolescent Rheumatology with transitional care clinics, combined Rheumatology and ophthalmology care, chronic pain management.
- Expertise in offering joint injections (Knees, shoulders, wrists, elbows, ankles, MCP and PIP joints).
- Managing soft tissue conditions and injections for carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, trigger finger, trochanteric bursa.
- Synovial fluid analysis
- 2003 – MBBS, T N Medical College (University of Mumbai)
- 2008 – MRCP, Royal College of Physicians (London)
- 2010 – Specialty certificate exam (SCE), Rheumatology (London)
- 2014 – Certificate of completion of speciality training (CCST) Rheumatology (UK)
- As a co-investigator in AC-TAPER study phase 4 trial responsible for recruiting consenting and reviewing results.
- As a co-investigator in commercial studies like OSKIRA 1,3 which involved recruiting patients and their follow up with assessments and checking results.
- Participated in recruiting patients for observational studies including ACTION and BSRBR.
- An audit of T spot testing prior to anti TNF treatment D Patel, J Darroch, L Brinkley, N Goodson British Society of Rheumatology Annual Congress, Glasgow – 2012.
- A case of spinal gout D Patel, M J Wilby, D Crooks, V Pellegrini, B Eyes, M Anderson British society of Rheumatology Annual Congress, Glasgow- 2012.
- Case report: Warfarin-induced DVT Binyamin KA, Patel D, Int med case Rep J 2014;7:123-125.
- COMA or FULL STOP – case series Patel D, Patel U; European Association of Neurosurgery, September 2007.
- Invited speaker for Northwest Lupus meeting to discuss Lupus disease and management, June 2016.
- Nephrotic syndrome in anti TNF – case presentation- Yorkshire regional meeting, May 2016.
- Audit presentation on Management of temporal arteritis in Rotherham hospital, Audit Meeting, Rotherham hospital, Jan 2015.
- A case of sclerosing mesenteritis post-bariatric surgery Singapore, Rheumatology conference, Aug 2017.
- Amyopathic dermatomyositis with ILD IRACON 2017.
She has presented her audit work and interesting cases regularly at various regional and departmental meetings. Dr Dipti believes in continuing professional development and keeps herself up to date with latest academic advances in the field by attending various national and international scientific meetings and courses.
- Dr. Dipti enjoys teaching and has attended various courses to improve her skills. She has conducted formal and informal training for medical students and juniors attached to the department.
- She has also attended various courses on Leadership and Management and successfully undertaken quality improvement projects in her department.
- Knees, ankles, wrists, shoulders, MCP and PIP joint injections
- US-guided wrist /ankle aspiration and injection
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound of hands and feet
- Flexor tendon, carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, trochanteric bursa injections
- Synovial fluid analysis- Laboratory-based training, Aintree hospital
- Audit on the management of GCA in a District general hospital, Rotherham hospital, June 2015.
- National audit on management of Rheumatoid arthritis, Rotherham hospital, December 2015.
- Audit on Management of Temporal arteritis as per BSR/BHPR guidelines, Southport hospital, March 2014- the closed loop.
- Audit of recording DAS 28 scores – Rheumatology Department, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Feb 2013 – closed the loop and led to service improvement.
- ‘Audit on discharge summaries’-GIM, Warrington hospital, Dec 2012.
- ‘Audit on Tocilizumab prescriptions as per NICE guidelines’-Rheumatology Department, March 2012.
- ‘Audit on New to following up ratios in clinic’-Rheumatology Department, Warrington Hospital, Aug 2011.
- ‘Audit on T spot results’- Rheumatology Department, Aintree University Hospital- Aug 2010 – presented as the poster in BSR 2012.
- ‘Audit on Clinics waiting for time’- Rheumatology Department, Whiston and St Helens Hospital- Aug 2009.
- ‘Audit on the management of ascites’-Gastroenterology Department Southport Hospital-July 2008.
- ‘Audit on the guidance of drug monitoring services’-GP practice Sheffield Teaching Hospital- July 2007.
- ‘Case note audit’-Department of Clinical Pharmacology –Royal Liverpool University Hospital – April 2006.
- ‘Delayed discharges onward’-Completing audit cycle- Department of Respiratory Medicine- Royal Liverpool University Hospitals -July 2006.
- First afebrile seizure in childhood’- Department of Paediatrics- St James University Hospital, Leeds- May 2004.
1. Rheumatology Courses/Meetings
- IRACON – Indian Rheumatology Association, Kochi November 2016
- Spondyloarthropathy meeting, Manchester- June 2013
- BSR conference, Birmingham – April 2013
- BSR foot and ankle course, Leeds- October 2012
- Salford Myositis meeting, Manchester- January 2012
- BSR conference, Glasgow- May 2012
- Ultrasound training day, Aintree hospital-June 2012
- Sheffield Connective tissue course, Sheffield- Oct 2011
- Advanced Ultrasound course, Liverpool- July 2011
- Eular Basic Ultrasound course, Leeds- May 2011
- Eular conference, London-May 2011
- Northwest Rheumatology meeting, Southport- May 2011
- GCP course, Liverpool- October 2010
- BSR conference, Brighton- April 2010
- Ten topics course, London -July 2010
- Eular online module (Dec 2009- 2012)
- BSR core skills course, Swindon- May 2010
2. Courses in teaching
- E-learning modules for teaching, London deanery (ongoing)
- PBL facilitator training, Liverpool- July 2013 (booked)
- Effective teaching skills, Liverpool – June 2013(booked)
- Mentoring for trainees, Liverpool- February 2013
- MCQ writing course, Liverpool- September 2012
- Getting your paper published, Liverpool- November 2012
- Training the trainer, Liverpool- May 2011
- Presentation and lecture skills, Liverpool- November 2011
- Teaching the teachers course , Sheffield- May 2006
3. Courses in Leadership and Management
- Leadership and Management course– Edge hill university– September 2013
- Leading change in NHS, Liverpool-November 2012
- Improving and managing services in NHS, Liverpool-October 2012
- Leading and chairing effective meetings, Crewe-January 2012
- Introduction to Leadership and management, Liverpool- November 2011
4. General Medicine courses
- Equality and diversity course- e-learning module- 2012
- Acute Medical update, Liverpool September- 2009
- Ultrasound-guided CVP line insertion, Liverpool-November 2008
- Acute medical emergencies course, Manchester -February 2006
- ALERT Acute Life-Threatening Events Recognition & Treatment course, Liverpool July 2005
- Advanced life support course –Truro, Cornwall, Feb 2005, recertified – Liverpool September 2009
- Basic Life Support –UK, Resuscitation Council, August 2005, October 2004, August 2012
- Montagu core simulation course, Sheffield- December 2005
- “WHARF HIV/AIDS Basic Training Program” for primary care providers conducted by Wockhardt Harvard Medical International HIV/AIDS Education and Research Foundation.